Settlement began in the Vesper area, located seven miles west of Lincoln and a half mile south of Highway 18, in 1869. The current Vesper town site was named Nemo when it was founded in 1887. “ Old Vesper” was a community located two miles west of Nemo. The post office was founded there in 1873. The town site of Nemo was vacated in 1894. “Old Vesper” w as moved to this location and was platted into lots in 1905. The Union Pacific ran through the new town site.
The Vesper Presbyterian Church was organized September 3, 1876 by Dr. Timothy Hill and Rev. H.C. Bradbury two miles west of Vesper in an old school building until a new church was built in Vesper in 1901. Services were held in the church until January 6, 2008. The building was purchased by Linda Wrench, and is available for tours and community events.
The Union Pacific Railroad passed through Vesper at one time, creating a thriving community, with their own business district.
The community built a consolidated school in 1914, where classes were held until it closed in 1966. Vesper is now part of the USD 299 Sylvan-Lucas School District.
A tightly knit community, the Vesper Community Club is active in the area, and holds Bingo once each month in the gym of the old Vesper High School. The high school’s gym has been remodeled and is host to live entertainment, wedding receptions, reunions, and private parties.