The Kansas Preservation Alliance awarded Jack and Kathie Crispin a 2017 Advocacy Award for Excellence for the rehabilitation of the Cummins Block Building in downtown Lincoln and for their work of promoting and preserving history through their museums. | Photo credit: Kelly Larson
Nearly $10,000 in funding has been awarded to the Evangelical Lutheran School in Sylvan Grove to support portions of a much larger restoration effort | Photo by Kelly Larson
Lincoln County officially became a Kansas county in 1870. Early settlers staking their claims and fencing their property lines needed an affordable material to build their fences. In this area of Kansas, near the soil surface, is a layer of limestone rock that is easily quarried and breaks into manageable chunks. Long lines of Post Rock fence posts are still seen today bordering the pastures.
The area known as “Post Rock Country” stretches for approximately 200 miles from the Nebraska border on the north to Dodge City on the south. The limestone that is found here comes from the uppermost bed of the Greenhorn Formation. It was out of necessity that settlers in the late 1800s began turning back the sod and cutting posts from the layer of rock that lay underneath. By the mid-1880s limestone fence posts were in general use because of the widespread use of barbed wire.