Lincoln County is one of 77 counties in Kansas participating in the state’s Rural Opportunity Zone (ROZ) program. The program provides financial incentives to recruit new full-time residents into rural counties.
There are two types of ROZ programs with a brief description of each listed below. An individual who qualifies for both incentives can receive both incentives at the same time. For more detailed information, visit the Kansas Department of Commerce’s ROZ website.
- Kansas Income Tax Waivers – The waivers equal a tax credit that is 100% of the individual’s Kansas income tax liability. Waivers are for up to five years. There is no application for this program, waivers are claimed through an individuals annual tax filings. To qualify, individuals must meet the following criteria:
- 1) Establish residency in a ROZ county on or after July 1, 2011,
- 2) Lived outside Kansas for five or more years immediately prior to establishing residency in a ROZ county, and
- 3) Earned less than $10,000 in Kansas source income in each of the five years immediately prior to establishing residency in a ROZ county. Kansas Income Tax Waivers are for up to five years.
- More information is available here: https://www.ksrevenue.org/prtaxcredits-roz.html
- Student Loan Repayments – Repayments are for up to $15,000 ($3,000/year for five years). To qualify, individuals must meet the following criteria:
- 1) Establish residency in a ROZ county after July 1, 2011, and on or after the date on which the county opts-in to the student loan program,
- 2) Hold an associate’s, bachelor’s or post-graduate degree, and
- 3) Have an outstanding student loan balance.
- Lincoln County currently has a waitlist for the Student Loan Repayment program; however, this may change from year to year. Also, businesses can sponsor an employee to avoid their employee being placed on the waitlist. For the most up-to-date information on the waitlist, please contact the County Clerk at 785-524-4757 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have questions, contact the Lincoln County Economic Development Foundation at 785-524-8954 or email LcedfDirector@Outlook.com.