Beverly, located on the eastern border of Lincoln County, was the first settlement in the county. Settled by Civil War veterans known as the “ Colorado Boys” in 1865, the town was incorporated in 1905 a s a third class city, located in Colorado Township.
Once a thriving community, Beverly was the home to Beverly State Bank, a drug store complete with a marble topped fountain backed by a huge mirror, a harness shop, restaurants, retail establishments, a barber shop, doctor’s office, and a hotel.
Beverly enjoys notoriety as the birthplace and childhood home of Donald K. Ross, the recipient of the first Congressional Medal of Honor awarded in World War II. A portion of Kansas Highway 18, which passes by the north edge of town, was recently renamed t he Donald K. Ross Memorial Highway in his honor.
Beverly’s community center, called the Colorado Township Hall, is located on Main Street and is home to many community events.
Today Beverly is the home to Wilson State Bank, the recently expanded Crop Service Center, specializing in custom application of fertilizer and herbicides, and a recycling center operated by CB T rucking and housed in what was once the Beverly school.
The Beverly Fire Department hosts a fundraising Mud Run each year while the Beverly Community Club hosts their Turkey Shoot each November. The Beverly Rural School Alumni Association celebrated its 100th annual reunion, believed to be among the longest continually running school reunions in Kansas, last May.
City Council meetings held once a month on the first Monday at 7 p.m. The city office is located at 203 N. Main Street.
City Clerk: Tina Church
- Monday & Tuesday – 9:00 a.m. to Noon
- Wednesday – Closed
- Thursday – 1:00-5:00 p.m.
- Friday – 9:00 a.m. to Noon, 1:00-5:00 p.m.
- Saturday & Sunday – Closed
Kansas Gas Service: 800-794-4780
Westar Electric: 800-383-1183
Twin Valley Telephone, Cable & Internet: 800-515-3311
Water, Sewer & Trash: 785-436-2363
Wilson State Bank
CB Trucking & Services
US Post Office
Substation (bar & grill restaurant)
Beverly Community Church
More Beverly News
- Live Lincoln County 2018 magazine hot off the press Lincoln County and Kansas residents, travelers and readers from across the country now have the opportunity to take a closer look into Post Rock country with the latest online and print edition of the Live Lincoln County magazine. Continue reading Read more...
- Substation now open in Beverly Hungry customers in the Beverly area once again have a place to satisfy their appetites. The Substation opened recently in Beverly at 100 E. 3rd St. and is ready to serve customers a full menu with breakfast, lunch, supper and homemade specials. Continue reading Read more...
- Live Lincoln County Video Released There’s a hidden gem in the middle of America… it’s Lincoln County, Kansas. Watch the new video! Continue reading Read more...
- Beverly church welcomes new Pastor The Beverly Community Church welcomed new pastor Toby Flaming with a community-wide hot dog roast and picnic Sunday, October 25, at the Beverly City Park. Flaming has joined the church following the departure of long-time Pastor Jonathan Harvey. Continue reading Read more...
- Crop Service Center hosts ribbon cutting Crop Service Center, located at 200 W. Railroad in Beverly, completed the expansion and improvement of their facility earlier in 2014 and the Lincoln Area Chamber of Commerce held a ribbon cutting Monday, December 22, to welcome the new facility to the county. Continue reading Read more...